Saturday, June 28, 2008

POTD CHALLENGE: SUMMER

This is going to be interesting, because I haven't seen Pat's post yet; I bet we are putting up the very same things! Yesterday - great summer day! - I took her up to my old stomping grounds for a short hike. We lived in the mountains for many years, and our home is located behind the trees in this pic, where the red mark is.
You can see what a fabulous day we had for our summer hike!

What to our surprise, but the trail was lost under snow! So, my subject for this POTD is
"Is it really summer?" This is Pat; my token photo of proof! The trail is "somewhere out there":
With our trusty hiking sticks, we ventured toward Franklin Falls anyway. We could not get beyond this point because the horrendous water was sending too much spray for our camera lenses and the trail dips steeply - still snow-covered. The pool at the bottom was a roiling pot where, as I told Pat, I took grandchildren to swim in the summer (!) because it is usually a calm, deep pool with great jumping-off rocks all 'round:

But we were so excited to look down and all around at the very late-blooming things on the forest floor. The first things to show in the wake of a snow melt are the wood violets, above; and of course, then comes the trillium - what I always think of as a magical bloom. We rejoiced that we hadn't missed what would usually have shown up 6 weeks ago! Didn't pack my macro lens, so this is the best I could get:

3 comments:

pat said...

Love it! I told you we would have the same things differently. We always seem to see the same thing in our own way. I really like the wood violets; I didn't get any!

Suzy said...

These are so pretty! I love seeing yours and Pat's POV!

Amy said...

These are so pretty! I do recognize some of the same scenes from Pat's POTD, but in a completely different way! :)