Wednesday, April 9, 2008

POTD Challenge: Light

Well, the laugh's on me! We just got back from 11 days in So. Calif (had a wonderful time!). Stayed with my S-in-law, who has a fabulous garden. One AM I got up early to get into the garden at sunrise with my camera. I forgot my glasses in the house, but I didn't want to go back in and disturb anyone, so I carried on. BUT, what I thought I was setting at f4.0, sans glasses, was actually 40.0! That's right; it IS possible. When 1/3rd of my pics downloaded totally black, I did one thing: clicked the "exposure auto focus" in my editing program. In changing a verrrry dark photo to lighter, the effect is what is seen in the pink rose pic. I sent my black pics to a professional who ran an analysis and told me that in fact the setting was f40.0! My question is: does it look just plain noisy, or does it look like special effects? I usually keep my pics sooc, and don't know much about dooding up a photo. Personally, I think like this effect.
Settings: f40.0; ISO 320; focal length 105 mm
After not being able to see anything in the LCD while shooting, I took a closer look and changed my settings to what I really wanted. Below, a rose backlit by the very first light of the day:
f 9.0 ISO 200; 105mm spot metering
And just a few minutes later, I buried my camera in a patch of sweet peas - still getting the morning sun, high enough now to make shadows:

13 comments:

pakosta said...

that first one is so awesome!
tara

pat said...

I LOVE the first one; just can't believe the f40! Talk about a pinhole camera... The sweetpeas are wonderful with the backlighting. Nice, ML!!

Margaret said...

That's too funny! I love the effect of the first one. Very nice. Your other shots are spectacular, too!

Stacey said...

These are beautiful! I just got back from Southern California March 31st... That's funny! I unfortunately didn't even get my camera out but once.. shame on me!

Val said...

The second rose is gorgeous! The first one is a cool fluke. Looks noisy, but hey, cool story!

Jason said...

Oh I have so done stuff like that before! Actually one of my favorite photos I have ever taken was a complete screw up. Nice Shots!

Mandy said...

The first one is perfection. I love the color and the detail...just amazing.

Heather said...

I really like the first one best and to me it almost looks like you added a texture:)

Jess said...

That first shot looks like you've added a texture, that is too cool! I love the lighting on the next two...especially on the sweet peas (my favorite scent!). :)

Bobbi said...

I actually love the look it gave that first photo, very nice!

Tori said...

the first one looks like you added a texture to it... or at least it does to me! I love the second shot.... beautiful!

Becky said...

I would say that first photo is a very happy accident! It's really lovely--it looks like a texture has been added, which we know is all the rage now. Your other shots are so pretty too. Getting up for sunrise can be so worth it!

Sharon said...

Very pretty!